Sunday, August 10, 2008

Dry White Spots On Dogs Noses

My first flight Ultralight

"[...] the wind in your face, see the whole glass down there without a vacuum that separates you is an immense sensation "

so far, and except for the biplane Bücker, everything that had flown aircraft cabin were closed. The ultralight always caught my attention, perhaps because I am one of those nostalgic pilots who enjoy flying "real" or maybe because I simply I would like to fly and even a broom.
Thanks to some friends back onto the Tango could have two axles and try the wonders of this new aviation unknown to me. Technically always considered the ultralights as "inferior" to the flight of the aircraft misnamed. Nothing is further from the truth. I do not mean to be difficult to fly, but it's another world in some technical aspects that need to change the chip.

As you can see from the photo, the cabin of Tango is not a luxury, but not deceived, if you take away the skin to a general aviation unit will see the same thing. I am struck to see the tires Fuel coming out of the bottles subject to the tubes that make up the carrier. Is narrow but quite comfortable, with seats angled slightly backward, equipped with shoulder harnesses and waist. The carrier is fairing on the front and open at the sides. The instrumentation is quite simple, an anemometer in km / h, an altimeter in meters, tachometers, fuel gauges, switches cut two magnets and a button that activates the starter motor. The controls are duplicated, along with power control. The brake is operated from the hand of the commander.
The launch is quieter than I expected, even I have to say that the wind of the propeller just upset despite having fairly close to us in the top front of the wing. The shooting is just like a normal plane, ie with the pedals. However, the tango has a different characteristic to the other aircraft I've flown, is two axes, ie, has no wings. The warping is done using the rudder, which is moved by the lever as if it were the normal roll control. It is just this point where the pilot used to flying three-axis aircraft have to change the chip. Put the right foot at takeoff to compensate for torque effect is useless. In Tango, your feet become your hands. And do not believe that it is simple catch it at first, especially in the shots.

align at the top, do a quick check of instruments and a briefing. I put the engine at 6,000 rpm and rushed through the grass track Fervenza. John, my instructor, pull the lever and go to air. I admit I slept on my first takeoff, used to other aircraft in which one is checking the engine and speed, in a microlight happens very fast. You put power and in just 4 seconds and you're in the air. Now I try to maintain 80km / h during the climb, but my eyes are inevitably out. How wonderful! It is complicated to explain what you feel the wind in your face, see everything down there without a glass separates you from the vacuum is a great feeling. I have to say that fly over the Fervenza Reservoir is gorgeous with all those islands in the middle. Juan beckons me to reduce to 5,000 rpm and turn over the lake. I look back on my right and see the wing pointing downward, the sensation of vertigo is void, even given the impression that you're going to fall into the void.
Juan instructs me to do traffic circuit and takes off. After a couple of turns and I'm doing with the Tango. Short at 4,000 rpm and start holding down the 80km / h the anemometer. Viro to end at a height that seems more or less adequate. However, the Tango has a glide slope somewhat steeper than normal sport aviation aircraft. Plans, and take on a very small space, but does not travel horizontally as well as other aircraft. I adjusted the alignment to the engine and the speed with the elevator, always at 80km / h. The Tango is very low, you could say that you take your ass land almost flat on the floor, and references are deceiving. Think you're going to take and you're still a tad high when you pull the lever. Me under a balloon in the head, although not very pronounced, we have plenty of speed so a little peak and return to pull gently. John was assisting in the making, because here's another great difficulty, used to correct the runway with the pedals, I did not realize that the nose wheel is still in the air and has no effect on the ground. John pushes the lever forward to touch the door, and I, in the midst of a smile not to have realized that stupid detail, correct shaft, and once stabilized, I put in power again. Four seconds and the ground is down there again. It's amazing how little space that runs to take off.


The second circuit and was much better, although I am so impressed by the sense of "free flight" which gives a apparatus of this type do not go yet before the plane as I wish. The approach was much more stabilized than the first and making quite soft, this time without balloons. John applies brakes and go to the apron. But how?! That's it?! No doubt the 20 minutes that I should be up there I missed a few seconds.
In short, it looks like the stunt in one respect: once you try two things can happen, or reject it completely, or engages you while you do not stop until you try it again. Although very limited equipment and perhaps the aesthetic aspect is not very attractive, the sensation of flying outdoor offering is indescribable. Yes ... always with great head, because despite the appearance of "toy", they are not at all.

I hope soon to tell more stories "of tubing and fabric."

0 comments:

Post a Comment